The Lone Star State School Counseling Association (LSSSCA) recently recognized 12 Dallas ISD schools for receiving the 2016 Lone Star State Award.
On Tuesday, Jan. 24, LSSSCA recognized 37 schools around the state of Texas for implementing outstanding school counseling programs. Counselors in the selected schools exhibited excellence in advocacy, leadership, collaboration, and systemic change as supported by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model. The Lone Star Award is designed to prepare Texas school counselors for the Recognized ASCA Model Program (RAMP) award.
LSSSCA recognized the following Dallas ISD counselor teams:
THE BRONZE AWARD (Eligible to Apply for the 2017 Silver Award)
- Ann Richards Middle School (Tarin Coley, Adrian Villegas, Francine Luckey)
- Billy E. Dade Middle School (Norma Wright, Rhonda Woods, Nwakaego Edordu)
- Bryan Adams High School Leadership Academy (Lorelehi Berrios, Nikki Jones, Stephanie Givens, Katherine Evans, Shannon Rodriguez)
- Emmett J. Conrad High School (Jenny Garner, Nitzy Orozco-Mosquera, Brenda McCoy, Johnny Moore, Sonya Gilb)
- Hulcy STEAM Middle School (Kimberly Miles)
- Irma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership School (Maria Hernandez, Sheila Williams)
- Moises E. Molina High School (Mata Armstrong, Paula Cortes, Ruth Gloria, Loree Jones-Huggins, Angel Vales, Courtney Fite)
- Nancy Moseley Elementary School (Rekesha Carter)
- Thomas Tolbert Elementary School (Rashunda Mendy)
- H. Gaston Middle School (Shannon Celestine, Jennifer Jackson)
- Young Women’s STEAM Academy at Balch Springs Middle School (Veronica Barajas, Faysha Smith-Hammock, Jacqueline Villalobos, Claudia Rodriguez)
THE BRONZE-READY AWARD (Eligible to Apply for the 2017 Bronze Award)
- Seagoville High School (Keisha Easterling, Bellisha Rice, Lynnette Jefferson, Marie Roberts, Sylvia Cabrera)
Meanwhile, LSSSCA hosted their first annual conference Jan. 22-24, 2017.
Nearly 700 school counselors and administrators from across the state of Texas were in attendance. Dallas ISD showed up big and represented the district. Several Dallas ISD school counselors, campus administrators, and central staff personnel presented professional growth sessions:
- Dade Middle School Staff: Tracie Washington, Norma Wright, Ellyn Favors, and Domonique Mack
- Molina High School counselor: Loree Jones-Huggins
- Tolbert Elementary Counselor: Rashunda Mendy
- District Coordinators: Dr. Charissa Govan (Instructional Support Services), Tiffany Gilmore (College Career Readiness Dept.)
- Counseling Services Supervisors: Sherri Vault, Rachael Stanphill, Courtney Jackson, Tracey Brown
- Hillcrest High School Counselors: Belia Smith and Shauntai Taylor
- Trinidad Garza Early College Principal and Staff: Macario Hernandez, Monica Crawford, Graciela Garcia, and Jazmin Greenwood
The Sunset High School Pep Band helped conference-goers end on a “high note” by performing at the closing awards ceremony.