Three out of 11 finalists were named the 2016 Teachers of the Year for the Dallas Independent School District (Dallas ISD).
The recipients of the award were announced Nov. 11 during a districtwide celebration. Carol Shelton at Jerry Junkins Elementary School received the award for elementary; Tony Benedetto from H. Grady Spruce High School won for secondary; and Sandra Urton at SOLAR Preparatory School for Girls at James B. Bonham received the magnet/choice schools award.
In addition to the districtwide 2016 Teachers of the Year, each school selected its Campus Teacher of the Year based on demonstrated excellence in and out of the classroom. The highly qualified instructional leaders exemplify the following traits:
- Leads students of all backgrounds to demonstrate learning;
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a culture of respect and success;
- Deliberately connects their classroom to the community and the community to the classroom;
- Engages in leadership opportunities that contribute to the work of the profession;
- Are poised and articulate communicators;
- Ably represent the district’s vision and goals at all times.