Seven Dallas ISD seniors have been named 2016 Gates Millennium Scholars, which is one of the nation’s most prestigious scholarships.
The Gates Millennium Scholarship will cover all college-related costs for the seven students at the university or college of their choosing. The scholarship will also cover tuition for select graduate school programs, if the students choose to attend.
The Dallas ISD 2016 Gates Millennium Scholars are:
- Cheyenne Allen, Seagoville High School
- Seth Crouch, Samuell High School
- Maya Farr-Henderson, School for the Talented and Gifted
- Landon Finley, South Oak Cliff High School
- Vernon Johnson, Judge Barefoot Sanders Law Magnet
- Khagindra Kadariya, Conrad High School
- Deve Mehta, School Of Health Professions
Established in 1999, the Gates Millennium Scholarship program is funded by a $1.6 billion grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, making it the largest single gift to a scholarship provider. There were 1,000 scholarship recipients this year chosen from a pool of 53,000 applicants.
The goal of the Gates Millennium Scholarship program is to promote academic excellence and to provide an opportunity for outstanding minority students with significant financial need to reach their highest potential.