This coming primary election on March 5 may be the most important for public education in Texas history.
That’s why I am asking every teacher, every school district team member, every parent, every grandparent, every one of our family members, everyone we know to vote in this primary election, especially in races for the Texas House of Representatives and State Senate. About 90% of Texas children—5.4 million in all—attend public schools. Our children can’t vote, so we must.
Here are the facts:
- Just 3% of voters who vote in Texas primaries elect who govern the other 97%. That means that a very small number of voters are deciding what issues will become law. For public education, the primaries go a long way in determining, for example, how much funding local schools will receive or whether state lawmakers will increase salaries for teachers and other district team members. Texas has “open” primaries, meaning you can request either a Republican or Democratic ballot, regardless of how you plan to vote in the November general election. Watch THIS VIDEO for more information and please vote in the March primary!
- Even with a $32.7-billion surplus available to the state this past year, our Legislature was unable to reach a consensus on providing any significant additional funding to Texas public schools that have not received an increase since 2019. As you know, we have experienced double-digit inflation since then—but still no significant funding increase from the state. Here in Dallas ISD, our board adopted a $186-million deficit budget this past year in order to make sure that you, our valued teachers and team members, received modest salary increases.
You can help cultivate a culture of voting across the Dallas ISD community by:
- Registering to vote by the February 5 deadline, then voting early between February 20 and March 1, or on Election Day, March 5.
- Ensuring that eligible students are given the opportunity to register to vote. March to the Polls is a non-partisan organization committed to increasing electoral participation.
- Forwarding this email to everyone you know throughout the state (friends, siblings, college roommates, relatives, parents, grandparents, significant others, etc.) who is eligible to vote in the March 5 Texas House primary.
It is more important than ever for you, your friends and family to vote. Do not think that others will “do the right thing” on behalf of our schools. Remember—kids can’t vote so they need us to vote for them.
Let’s make sure that our voices are heard, Dallas ISD!