Six Dallas ISD senior student-athletes are the proud recipients of the Nancy Lieberman Educational College Scholarship.
The students can use the one-time $10,000 scholarship toward college tuition payments. The scholarship goes toward deserving high school student-athletes who excel in sports and academics and have made a positive impact on the community. The Dallas ISD scholarship recipients are:
- Helen Garcia – North Dallas High School
- Oscar Leal – W.H. Adamson High School
- Anna Martinez – Sunset High School
- Kathy Nguyen – North Dallas High School
- Martin Valdez – W.H. Adamson High School
- Matthew Nagbe – Bryan Adams Leadership Academy
A gala on Feb. 19 will recognize and celebrate the scholarship recipients.
Lieberman, whose foundation is behind the scholarships, is one of the most successful American basketball players of all time, from being a standout in high school, to helping her college team earn two consecutive championships, to representing the USA in the Pan American Games and the Olympics. The $10,000 scholarships are synonymous with the number 10 Lieberman wore throughout her career.