(Updated March 11, 1:27 p.m.) Dallas ISD Interim Principal Bert Hart has sent the following letter to Lakewood Elementary staff and community members stating that third-party environmental tests of the school all came back normal. Below is the letter:
Dear Lakewood Staff and Community,
Thank you for your continued attention to the health concerns at Lakewood Elementary School. In recent weeks, we have communicated with you about various environmental and building testing performed as a result of those concerns.
This is an update on the findings we received from our third-party vendor of the testing performed at our campus.
After a review all environmental tests were found normal.
Our preventative steps included:
- Testing, out of an abundance of caution, the air quality at the campus. The results came back normal.
- Testing, out of an abundance of caution, the water quality at the campus to ensure it confirms normal drinking water standards. The results came back normal.
- Testing, out of an abundance of caution, thermal temperature levels to ensure comfort parameters were maintained. The results came back normal.
- Testing, out of an abundance of caution, ozone concentration levels. The results came back normal.
- Testing, out of an abundance of caution, radon emission. The results came back normal.
The Dallas ISD facilities management team continues to monitor these areas, and after this thorough review we may rule out these as potential factors to some of the health concerns raised.
A copy of the report may be obtained through an Open Records Request. For more information on that process, visit www.dallasisd.org/openrecords.
Thank you for your continued support of Lakewood Elementary School. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call my office at 972-749-7300.
Lakewood Elementary School
(Updated Feb. 24, 11 a.m.) The following are responses to questions regarding health concerns at Lakewood Elementary School. Please check back frequently as additional responses are posted.
Question: Are there bats living at the school? Could there be bat feces on the roof or in chimney that could be causing histoplasmosis?
Answer: Presently there is no evidence of bats at Lakewood Elementary.
Question: Will the school be cleaned and disinfected more thoroughly this week if it is a virus?
Answer: The custodial service staff will continue to clean the school throughly. Additional steps will be taken as needed and appropriate.
Question: Will all air filters be changed if needed and ducts vacuumed or cleaned? The auditorium vents were filthy at the meeting tonight and I’m sure many others are too. If help is needed, please let parent community know.
Answer: Facilities staff will check the filters and replace them as needed.
(Original story) As part of Dallas ISD’s continued partnership, the district issued the following update about recent health-related concerns here at Lakewood Elementary School.
With the completion of environmental monitoring Monday, three additional nurses allocated to the campus continue to keep a close eye on the health of students and staff. At the same time, members of the Dallas ISD facilities management team are reviewing any other potential factors that are contributing to health concerns here on campus. Our preventative steps include:
- Encouraging any student or staff member with a health concern to visit with our nursing team. Several students have visited the nurse, and most of them have returned to classes today. CLARIFICATION: In addition, one of our teachers fainted Monday afternoon; she did not return to work for the remainder of the day.
- Completing repairs of a heating and cooling issue that has resulted in slightly warmer than normal temperatures in the building. Those repairs should be complete by the end of the week, weather permitting. In the meantime, we encourage both students and staff to dress appropriately (lighter shirts, etc.) and to be sure to drink plenty of water. The district will also provide spot coolers and open windows throughout the building as needed to ensure the temperature is appropriate.
- Testing, out of an abundance of caution, the water quality at the campus to ensure it confirms to normal drinking water standards.
Both the Lakewood Elementary team and Dallas ISD are committed to maintaining a healthy environment, and to keeping you informed about developments.