On May 26, trustees recognized individual students and student groups for their accomplishments including:
• The Cyber-Tigers robotics team from F.P. Caillet Elementary School. In its first year, the team received the Teamwork Champion Award at the STEM Day Robotics Competition. This qualified them to compete at the state championship, where they were invited to compete at the Vex IQ World Championship. This team’s achievement demonstrates their skills in teamwork, problem solving and engineering design.
• Two robotics teams from Winnetka Elementary, also in their first year to compete, found success. Both achieved high honors and qualified for the VEX IQ World Championship. The Winnetka Wildbots won the State Champion Banner in programming and first place at the U.S. Open National Robotics Championship. The teams are the Wildbots and Vex Masters.
• The Wilmer-Hutchins High School boys relay team placed first in the 4A Boys 100 Meter Relay at the UIL State Track & Field Championship on May 12-14 in Austin.
• The David W. Carter High School boys Track and Field team was named the Region II Team Champions at the 4A UIL Track & Field Commerce on April 29 in Commerce. Demarviae Gray placed first in the 4A Boys 200 Meter Dash.
• The Carter Girls Track and Field Team was named the Region II Team Champions at the 4A UIL Regional Track & Field Championship. Special Recognition to the Girls Relay Team for placing first in the 4A Girls 4×100 Meter Relay at the UIL State Track & Field Championship in Austin, May 12-14. Relay team members: Kynna Gamble, Sha’Carri Richardson, Deziree Porter and Zhalyn Richards. Special recognition to Sha’Carri Richardson for placing first in the 4A Girls 100 Meter Dash and setting the new state record.
• Anne Gilliam of Hillcrest High School won the UIL State 5A Tennis Single Championship on May 17 in College Station. This is the district’s first State Tennis Champion since 1961.