Two vehicle-related incidents this week near Dallas ISD campuses are a reminder to students and adults to be safe when traveling near schools.
A crossing guard at Victor H. Hexter Elementary School was struck by a vehicle while on the job on Aug. 27 near Brookhurst Drive and NorthCliff Drive. No students were present at the time of the accident, but the crossing guard was significantly injured.
At Mark Twain Leadership Vanguard, a car struck a school bus from behind in the loading zone near the entrance to the school. No students were on board the bus at the time, and the driver did not suffer any apparent serious injuries.
Tips for Students
- Always look both ways when crossing the street
- Cross only using designated crosswalks
Tips for Drivers
- Be aware of traffic in school zones
- Watch out for children crossing the street
- Remember that it is against the law to use a wireless handheld device while driving in active school zones.