From choice schools serving talented and gifted students to a fine arts collegiate academy, eight outstanding choice schools have a limited number of seats still open for the 2020–2021 school year.
Families interested in applying are encouraged to contact the school directly for more information.
The schools still accepting applications are:
- Mark Twain School for the Talented and Gifted and Trinity Heights School for the Talented and Gifted cater to students who need a challenging academic environment to reach their full potential. The schools offers a two-way dual language program and includes instruction in language arts, mathematics, humanities, the sciences, technology, fine arts, and physical education.
- Wilmer-Hutchins High School Fine Arts Collegiate Academy offers students instruction in the basics of music theory, vocal performance and instrumental conducting along with courses in various forms of dance. Like all the district’s collegiate academies, the fine arts academy offers students the opportunity to earn a high school diploma and up to 60 hours of college credit or an associate degree, tuition-free, in four years.
- Oliver W. Holmes Humanities/Communications Academy offers a rigorous curriculum, collaborative climate and engaged staff that grows students into productive citizens.
- K.B. Polk’s vanguard program is designed for G/T (Gifted and Talented) students in grades 4–5 who excel in general intellectual ability in combination with creative/productive thinking and/or leadership ability.
- J.P. Starks Math, Science and Technology Vanguard has several seats open. Starks has a distinctive record of superior performance and noteworthy recognition.
- Skyline High School, the country’s first magnet school, is accepting applications.
- William H. Atwell Middle School/Law Academy provides rigorous learning opportunities that enable students to develop and demonstrate the academic and social skills necessary to be college and workforce ready. The law academy provides opportunities for eligible students to learn about the legal profession and interact with people from law-related fields.