The proposed 2017-2018 student calendar presented to trustees Thursday features summer professional development for teachers in August with the first day of classes set for Monday, Aug. 28.
School Leadership has recommended adding 10 minutes to the school day during breakfast in the classroom. With the expanded day, the district would reach the state-mandated total minutes of instruction by June 1, the last day of classes.
- 171 days of instruction for students starting Monday, Aug. 28
- 10 teacher professional development/planning days, five preparation/work days and one day’s credit for teachers who attend both parent conference nights
- Two fair days for all students; elementary Fair Day, Friday, Oct. 13, and secondary Fair Day, Friday, Oct. 20; Elementary Fair Day would be a professional development day for secondary teachers, and Secondary Fair Day would be a professional development day for elementary teachers
- One week for Thanksgiving break, November 20 through 24
- 11 days for winter break, December 22 through Jan. 5, with a teacher preparation day, Monday, January 8, 2018
- Spring break, March 12-16, 2018
- Inclement weather make-up days, March 30 and June 4, 2018
- Staff/student holidays, Sept. 4, 2017, Jan. 15, 2018, and May 28, 2018
Trustees are expected to approve the calendar at their Feb. 23 meeting. Go here to view the proposed calendar.