Eight students in the Dallas Independent School District have earned their way to the finals of the annual Gardere Martin Luther King Jr. Oratory Competition.
The following students will compete in the final round of the competition, to be held from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Friday, Jan. 15, at the Majestic Theatre, 1925 Elm St., Dallas, TX 75201. The event is free and open to the public.
• Kywin Brown, fifth grade, Wilmer-Hutchins Elementary
• Jayden Jackson, fifth grade, L.L. Hotchkiss Elementary
• Donna Guevara, fifth grade, John Neely Bryan Elementary
• Guadalupe Zamora, fifth grade, Arcadia Park Elementary
• Marco Mares, fifth grade, William Brown Miller Elementary
• Za’Kiah Bell, fifth grade, J.P. Starks Math, Science and Technology Vanguard
• Lyric Turner, fifth grade, Charles Rice Learning Center
• Mariah Hickman, fourth grade, Paul L. Dunbar Learning Center
Dallas ISD also congratulates the following students that were semifinalists in the competition. The semifinals took place on Dec. 8, in the Ada L. Williams Auditorium of the Dallas ISD Administration Building:
• Sania Daniels, Frederick Douglass Elementary School
• Tashanti Ridley, Ronald Erwin McNair Elementary
• Adrian Ojeda, Urban Park Elementary School
• Mason Price, Thomas L. Marsalis Elementary School
• Kevin Henderson, Thomas Tolbert Elementary School
• Angel Wade, Amelia Earhart Learning Center
• Ashley Patterson, Harry C. Withers Elementary School
Now in its 24th year, the annual event is sponsored by the Dallas law firm Gardere Wynne Sewell.