Input from all corners of the Dallas Independent School District has played a key role in the proposed 2015 – 2016 school year calendar that will be considered by the Board of Trustees on Thursday, Dec. 18.
In November, Dallas ISD posted an online survey about the proposed calendar to get input from staff, parents and community members. Of the feedback, there was significant support to extend Thanksgiving week the full five days, instead of the current partial week. On other topics such as the use of half-days and start times, there was no clear consensus.
The proposed calendar to be considered by Trustees is shaped by district standards as well as state law.
For example, the proposed calendar identifies Monday, Aug. 24, 2015, as the first day of school because state law prohibits public schools from starting the school year any sooner than the fourth Monday in August. Another district standard used for the development of the school year calendar is the district’s commitment to ending the first semester by winter break. Development of next year’s calendar also includes the addition of more staff development days because the district wants to provide school staff members with more training and planning time.
Important 2015-2016 proposed instructional calendar dates:
- First day for teachers: Aug. 13, 2015
- Campus staff/teacher work days: Aug. 13 – 14, 2015
- Campus staff development: Aug. 17 – 21, 2015
- First day for students: Aug. 24, 2015
- Note: State law requires that public schools begin the school year no earlier than the fourth Monday in August.
- Labor Day: Sept. 7, 2015
- Fair Day: elementary – Oct. 9, 2015 and secondary – Oct. 16, 2015
- Note: Two fair days are scheduled at the request of the State Fair of Texas to accommodate the district’s 160,000 students.
- First semester staff development days: Oct. 19, 2015 and Nov. 9, 2015
- Thanksgiving break: Nov. 25 – 27, 2015
- Winter break: Dec. 21, 2015 – Jan. 1, 2016
- Second semester work day for campus staff: Jan. 4, 2016
- Second semester staff development days: Jan. 5, 2016 and half-day Feb. 15, 2016
- Martin Luther King Jr. holiday: Jan. 18, 2016
- Spring break: March 14 – 18, 2016
- Inclement weather make-up days: March 25, 2016 and April 11, 2016
- Memorial Day: May 30, 2016
- Last day of school for students: June 2, 2016
- Half-day teacher work day: June 3, 2016